Skip to main content

The Case for Faith in the Service of Love


We live in the Age of Reason. And that’s a pretty good thing. The Enlightenment and Scientific Revolution have made so many things better in so many ways. We should love reason. The thing is though that reason is not a virtue, it is a faculty. Reason basically just means cognition. The ability to think. It’s a tool. It has zero moral significance until it is used to impel action. There is no human behavior other than physical reflexes that occurs without reason first being employed. I think our culture has some very distorted and simplistic views about reason. I believe we are witnessing playout what happens when a culture elevates reason to the status of the highest virtue and basically elevates this human faculty, this tool, to the status of a god. Indeed, there are many in modern society who would like to completely replace God and faith in general with reason. This is an ignorant and catastrophic mistake.

I was visiting a dear friend last night and we got to talking, as is our custom, about some of the deepest possible questions known to man (in my opinion). You see this friend and I both suffer from severe, treatment-resistant mental illness. Mainly depression in my case and panic disorder in his. He’s been suffering for almost 20 years now. We are both very well acquainted with suicidal thoughts, and we have talked many, many times about why we are still on this earth. Why in the hell, after two decades of relentless torture would you not give up? It turns out that is a really good question. The answer has been obvious to my friend and I for a long time now. You see, when you’ve felt so awful for so long you want nothing more than for it to just stop. That’s pretty reasonable right? So, when it really comes down to resisting the temptation to make it stop, what prevents you from doing that? Well, every time I’ve asked my friend what has prevented him from doing it he gives the same answer, “I can’t do that to my girls.” He loves his family too much to ever hurt them like that. He is willing to suffer day in and day out until the end of time because of Love. And I just nod my head and say, “I know man, I know.”

For a long time now in our culture the conversation about reason has been framed so that it is placed in opposition to faith. And the only problem with that is that it’s absurdly wrong. As I said, reason is a universal human faculty and to say that it is absent or flawed in the thought process of people of faith is just ignorant. Especially when the category of “people of faith” includes every person who has ever lived. Just like reason, faith is a universal human quality, it is embedded in your brain. Regardless of what people believe, everyone exercises faith. We are all acting on faith every minute of every day. We act with the faith that our action will produce the desired outcome. We act in faith or not at all.

 Now, for all of the flaws that religions have had throughout history, and there have been a lot, they have figured out some things that I consider to be undeniably true. The most important of these truths in my estimation is found in the New Testament in 1 John 4:8 where it says “God is love.” This is a statement that reason and science simply can’t touch. If you ask a scientific rationalist he would say God doesn’t exist and love is just a bunch of neurotransmitters and hormones. To me this is evidence of the existence of a category of deep truths that are hopelessly beyond the reach of science and that is nevertheless true. We know the depth of love that we feel for our families and other loved ones, but we cannot explain rationally how much we love them and why and it certainly can't be quantifiably measured and yet we KNOW that it is real. Reason and intellectualism can't save us. Only love can do that. 

Love, not reason is the highest virtue. Love is the ultimate reason to go on living. A wise man once taught me that Love is the Motive and Faith is the Power and I think he was right. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hell...and Heaven

Hell Hell is real. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If anyone tells you that hell doesn’t exist tell them to give me a call. I am well acquainted with hell. It comes in many forms. In fact, there are as many versions of hell as there are people on earth. You know this is true. Just imagine that everything that could possibly go wrong in your life actually goes wrong and there is no remedy - just an unending series of disasters and disappointments that stretches on for years and years and years. Or Imagine that for some reason it seems that you can no longer feel positive emotion just about no matter what you do.  Not only that, but then you discover that you have lost interest in everything you used to love to do. Then your own mind turns against you. Your mind is filled with an incessant voice telling you how stupid and pathetic you are. Sometimes it even tells you that you're a burden to everyone you love and they'd be better off with out you. "Just kill y

Recovery Plan

I am going to try and outline a personal recovery plan for climbing out of the pit of depression that I’ve been in for roughly eight years. I also will be striving to improve my overall health and wellbeing. Now, I don’t know how complicated and difficult that may sound to those who are inexperienced and unfamiliar in the world of abnormal psychology and mental health/illness, but believe me, it’s no easy task. This must be about the thousandth time that I have tried to undertake this endeavor. And although I have thought, and fought, long and hard over it, I remain stumped by this problem. I have learned many, many things through my research and experience that are shown to help a significant percentage of people to overcome depression and return to good mental health. These treatments and therapeutic lifestyle changes include everything from medication, talk therapy, exercise, nutrition and supplementation, sleep habits, exposure to UV light, and electro-convulsive therapy, yoga, acu

Fear and Pain Your Days are Numbered

  I found out yesterday that I my spine is totally screwed up. I’m not surprised because it’s been causing me problems for over 10 years off and on. Nevertheless, that news hit me hard. It was a slap in the face. The good kind. I was offended a little bit by my own conscience. I have known that something was wrong with my back that whole time and I knew that losing weight and getting fit would help, but in my state of depression and exhaustion and brokenness I was simply unable to muster the necessary motivation. NO MORE! I am sick and tired of being helpless and hopeless. Screw that! I am sincerely pissed off that so much of my life has been wasted wallowing in pain and suffering. I AM DONE! I commit today, right now, to do whatever it takes to reclaim my health and happiness. Mental illness be damned! You poked the wrong frickin bear. Now prepare to die.   I’m going to take this one step at a time, but I will start NOW. I will wake up every day with single-minded purpose. I will