Skip to main content

Just Keep Going


I don’t know what I want to say right now, so I’ll just let these pudgy digits start flying and we’ll see what comes out. 

I’ve been super depressed for the last couple of months (seven years really) and just constantly fatigued and in quite a bit of inflammatory pain all over my body. So, I’ve been feeling super shitty, but I’ve been making huge efforts to show up when I need to in order to be a good husband, father, child, sibling, friend, etc. I’ve tried to make it to as many family gatherings as I possibly can and to be engaged and encouraging to my kids. The holidays are brutal for people with mental illnesses and disabilities in general. Every party, feast, and picture fest is torture and requires a monumental effort to get me there. I have such low energy that I have to start thinking about how I’m going to save some up now to allocate to some kind of event or obligation in the future. Days or even weeks before a draining event arrives, I start to feel anxious and pained just wondering if I’ll end up having the energy and strength to get there or if I’ll have to cancel on my family or friend. 

If you’ve had a long-term disability, then you are probably very familiar with this pattern that I’m describing. I’ve canceled on people last minute hundreds of times over the years and each one feels like abject failure. The disappointment is massive, I think in part because you’ve been preparing mentally for this event for so long and wanted so badly to make it. I’ve gotten to the point that I say no to pretty much everything except the most important things. I don’t feel guilty about this, it is out of absolute necessity and I recommend that people in similar situations to mine learn to say no. 

But the build-up and the event itself aren’t even the worst part. The worst part is that I pay a massive price for most of my efforts. Activities that are even remotely stressful take a huge toll on my mind and body. I come home (never a minute too soon) and just crash. After almost any mentally or physically demanding event I will feel severe fatigue, depression, inflammation, and pain. When I wake up the next morning, I usually feel like I’ve been run over by a fucking garbage truck! Depending on how stressful the event is, it will cause this hung over and beat up feeling for anywhere from two days to a week. 

So, I did this for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, then in January my wife left town for four days and then in a seven-day period we had my son’s birthday, my wife’s birthday, and then our 10th wedding anniversary. Not to mention many, many, smaller activities in between the big events. And then there’s the stresses of everyday life with severe depression and anxiety. On top of that a close family member is battling cancer. Like a freaking champ I might add. We all love her so much and it is so difficult to see her suffer so much. (The paradoxical thing about that is that while it’s agonizing to watch her suffer, I think it is the most inspiring display of love and courage that I have ever seen.) You add in the cumulative effect of all the stress and suffering of the last seven years and you get this fat, battered corpse that I inhabit. I feel like I’ve just gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. It’s truly a grim and brutal picture, and yet it’s all invisible. I suffer in silence and I only cry in the dark. 

In spite of feeling generally awful every day, I’m trying to get into shape. I committed to go on a five- or six-day backpacking trip in July and I need to lose about 50 lbs. to make that happen. So, I’m trying to work up the energy and motivation to be healthy and active while basically stumbling around in a half-dead stupor. At least that’s how it feels. Then this morning I awoke from a nightmare about my wife leaving me and, in the dream, she was hateful and mean. (This nightmare doesn’t reflect reality at all by the way, my wife loves me so good I can barely stand it.) It was like my own subconscious was just dishing out the punishment and the torment that I feel like I’ve always deserved. It put me in a serious, dark funk. But I didn’t take it lying down. I smoked a bowl of the marijuana and took an aroma/music therapy bath. I got deep into the music, I cried and then I gave myself the pep talk that I needed to push on through another day. 

I know that millions of people out there can relate to this and that gives me a bit of comfort. I'd like to take a moment to feel proud and happy about the efforts I've made, I know that would be emotionally healthy, but I don't feel it. Hey, I’m still alive right? Might as well take life by the nuts and the bull by the horns and just give ‘em hell. I don’t have anything better to do. I guess I’ll just keep going.

Comments

  1. you're a brave man, just one foot in front of the other. I started by just going thru the motions every morning. Shower, put on clean clothes and walk outside 15 minutes, take a child with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hell...and Heaven

Hell Hell is real. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If anyone tells you that hell doesn’t exist tell them to give me a call. I am well acquainted with hell. It comes in many forms. In fact, there are as many versions of hell as there are people on earth. You know this is true. Just imagine that everything that could possibly go wrong in your life actually goes wrong and there is no remedy - just an unending series of disasters and disappointments that stretches on for years and years and years. Or Imagine that for some reason it seems that you can no longer feel positive emotion just about no matter what you do.  Not only that, but then you discover that you have lost interest in everything you used to love to do. Then your own mind turns against you. Your mind is filled with an incessant voice telling you how stupid and pathetic you are. Sometimes it even tells you that you're a burden to everyone you love and they'd be better off with out you. "Just kill y

Recovery Plan

I am going to try and outline a personal recovery plan for climbing out of the pit of depression that I’ve been in for roughly eight years. I also will be striving to improve my overall health and wellbeing. Now, I don’t know how complicated and difficult that may sound to those who are inexperienced and unfamiliar in the world of abnormal psychology and mental health/illness, but believe me, it’s no easy task. This must be about the thousandth time that I have tried to undertake this endeavor. And although I have thought, and fought, long and hard over it, I remain stumped by this problem. I have learned many, many things through my research and experience that are shown to help a significant percentage of people to overcome depression and return to good mental health. These treatments and therapeutic lifestyle changes include everything from medication, talk therapy, exercise, nutrition and supplementation, sleep habits, exposure to UV light, and electro-convulsive therapy, yoga, acu

Fear and Pain Your Days are Numbered

  I found out yesterday that I my spine is totally screwed up. I’m not surprised because it’s been causing me problems for over 10 years off and on. Nevertheless, that news hit me hard. It was a slap in the face. The good kind. I was offended a little bit by my own conscience. I have known that something was wrong with my back that whole time and I knew that losing weight and getting fit would help, but in my state of depression and exhaustion and brokenness I was simply unable to muster the necessary motivation. NO MORE! I am sick and tired of being helpless and hopeless. Screw that! I am sincerely pissed off that so much of my life has been wasted wallowing in pain and suffering. I AM DONE! I commit today, right now, to do whatever it takes to reclaim my health and happiness. Mental illness be damned! You poked the wrong frickin bear. Now prepare to die.   I’m going to take this one step at a time, but I will start NOW. I will wake up every day with single-minded purpose. I will