Skip to main content

Good Intentions


There’s an old saying of unknown origin that states, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions”. I have something to say about that idea. The phrase is meant to convey the message that your good intentions are useless unless you act on them in a way that transforms your intentions into reality.  My first response to this phrase would be, “yeah, but so is the road to heaven.” The idea is that we are ultimately judged based mostly on our actions and not the condition of our heart. This is a terrible message and I say it is absolutely false.

 Why is it that we don’t achieve everything we want? I mean we wake up every morning believing subconsciously that we will be able to achieve the things we want to that day or else we wouldn’t even try. Even if we have very little difficulty achieving our mundane daily goals we all know on some level that there are challenges in life that we could be faced with that would be impossible to overcome. But we just choose not to think about those things very much. Death, illness, natural disasters, etc. We desperately want to avoid these things, but we know we can’t. Human beings are not omnipotent, we have very many limitations.

So, there is obviously a big gap between our intentions and our actions and there is another gap between our actions and their results. What fills these gaps? One answer is moral strength or will power and while that is certainly a part of the answer, it’s at best half of the equation. Some of the other factors would be correct physiological function, emotional stability, and some kind of reward to reinforce that behavior. There are many things in life that can severely reduce your capacity to carry out all of your good intentions. We call them disabilities.

When certain actions and achievements become impossible for you because of a disability or catastrophic circumstances outside of your control then your intentions are all you have left. The list of things you can do gets much shorter and the list of things you can’t do grows longer and longer until you inevitably feel useless, hopeless, and burdensome. When our capability changes drastically our expectations also must change. All we can do is play the hand we are dealt. The key to peace is acceptance.

This is easier said than done. Through my experience with mental illness I have gained some insight into this. One of the questions that torments me, and I think is common among people with mood disorders is whether my behavior in the past somehow caused this. Is it my fault? And this line of reasoning then spirals into extreme guilt and shame. The reality is that no one would ever choose to have a mental illness. I know for a fact that I would do anything to get better.

 I’ve been trying non-stop for six years doing everything I can possibly think of to be healed from this disease. I know that my intentions are pure, and my conscience is clear. But that doesn’t stop it from hurting. The thing that hurts the most is not my own pain and suffering, but rather knowing how my illness causes sadness for those that love me. It tears me up inside that I can’t be the husband and father that I always wanted to be. I hate how hard this is on my wife. I want to be strong and supportive for her, but it takes all of the strength that I have just to stay alive. I could not ever adequately describe how difficult this is.

Mental illness destroys the natural mechanisms that our brains use to reward good behavior and punish bad behavior. When you have severe depression almost all behaviors are punished. Imagine a monkey in a lab has an electrode inserted into its brain to deliver a painful shock at the arbitrary discretion of the researcher. The monkey tries to eat a banana and as soon as he touches it he gets and excruciating shock, he drops the banana and the pain stops. Then he tries to take a drink, shocked. He starts to climb, shocked. He starts banging on the wall, shocked. He starts screaming, shocked. Eventually the monkey will just give up and lie down and it will stay that way until it dies of starvation. This is called Learned Helplessness.

This sense of helplessness and universal punishment is central to the experience of severe depression. Even the activities you once loved more than anything become pure torture. And then comes the sense of loss. Everything you loved is dead and gone. At this point everything hurts. Hope hurts. Love hurts. Happy memories hurt. Social connection hurts. Human beings will do anything to escape pain and anxiety. Unfortunately pain and anxiety are a permanent feature of my life.  In this state of mental torture, I must believe that my intentions matter. My good intentions are all I have.

Because of my intense struggle with mental illness my morals have been radically simplified. Treat others how you want to be treated. Don’t judge. God is love. Love the truth. That’s all I have to say about that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hell...and Heaven

Hell Hell is real. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If anyone tells you that hell doesn’t exist tell them to give me a call. I am well acquainted with hell. It comes in many forms. In fact, there are as many versions of hell as there are people on earth. You know this is true. Just imagine that everything that could possibly go wrong in your life actually goes wrong and there is no remedy - just an unending series of disasters and disappointments that stretches on for years and years and years. Or Imagine that for some reason it seems that you can no longer feel positive emotion just about no matter what you do.  Not only that, but then you discover that you have lost interest in everything you used to love to do. Then your own mind turns against you. Your mind is filled with an incessant voice telling you how stupid and pathetic you are. Sometimes it even tells you that you're a burden to everyone you love and they'd be better off with out you. "Just kill y

Recovery Plan

I am going to try and outline a personal recovery plan for climbing out of the pit of depression that I’ve been in for roughly eight years. I also will be striving to improve my overall health and wellbeing. Now, I don’t know how complicated and difficult that may sound to those who are inexperienced and unfamiliar in the world of abnormal psychology and mental health/illness, but believe me, it’s no easy task. This must be about the thousandth time that I have tried to undertake this endeavor. And although I have thought, and fought, long and hard over it, I remain stumped by this problem. I have learned many, many things through my research and experience that are shown to help a significant percentage of people to overcome depression and return to good mental health. These treatments and therapeutic lifestyle changes include everything from medication, talk therapy, exercise, nutrition and supplementation, sleep habits, exposure to UV light, and electro-convulsive therapy, yoga, acu

Fear and Pain Your Days are Numbered

  I found out yesterday that I my spine is totally screwed up. I’m not surprised because it’s been causing me problems for over 10 years off and on. Nevertheless, that news hit me hard. It was a slap in the face. The good kind. I was offended a little bit by my own conscience. I have known that something was wrong with my back that whole time and I knew that losing weight and getting fit would help, but in my state of depression and exhaustion and brokenness I was simply unable to muster the necessary motivation. NO MORE! I am sick and tired of being helpless and hopeless. Screw that! I am sincerely pissed off that so much of my life has been wasted wallowing in pain and suffering. I AM DONE! I commit today, right now, to do whatever it takes to reclaim my health and happiness. Mental illness be damned! You poked the wrong frickin bear. Now prepare to die.   I’m going to take this one step at a time, but I will start NOW. I will wake up every day with single-minded purpose. I will