Skip to main content

Battling the Darkness Inside Me


When I was a kid my favorite thing to do was dream about the future. I loved it so much that I did it all day long. I didn’t love the present so much because I hated myself.

Don’t get me wrong, I had a lot of fun as a kid. But no matter what I was doing there was always a little voice in my mind telling me that it wasn’t good enough, or I wasn’t good enough.  Some people might call this “low-self esteem,” but doing so would imply that I thought ill of myself. In fact, I wasn’t doing anything of the sort.

A voice inside my head, but outside of myself was constantly trying to convince me that I was nothing. His voice closely resembled mine, but I knew it wasn’t me. My tormentor was just an excellent impersonator. The thing that wasn’t me.

Before you start thinking that I’m a Schizo, just reflect for a second.

Do you not have this voice? I hope you do, because that voice is commonly referred to as a conscience, and if you don’t have one, then there’s a good chance you’re a psychopath. In a healthy mind this voice will let you know when you’ve screwed up and need to correct your course. It will call you out on all of your lies. It is essential to survival. It is the compass we use to navigate through life. It is so vital and yet so poorly understood.

Do you control your conscience, or does it control you? Can you turn it on and off at will? If so, I would love for you to teach me how to do that. Everyone has a conscience, it’s just that most people’s consciences aren’t as oppressive as mine. The thing that keeps mentally balanced people in check, is greatly exaggerated and negatively amplified in the mind of depressives. If you struggle with mental illness, you know what I’m talking about. The conscience in depressives has a parasitical tumor that aggressively distorts reality and the ability to perceive it. The dark glass of mortality is a few to several shades darker for me.

As a kid, I would get so sick of that taunting voice that when I was in the bathroom by myself, I would often look into the mirror, addressing the darkness, and with rage say, “F**k you!” I’ve never told anyone that before.

My teachers wondered why I couldn’t focus. The principal wondered why I got in so many fights. I think my parents thought I was fine. I was a very good actor. To be perfectly honest, I didn’t know what was happening either. All I know is that I hated being distracted. I hated being angry. But what was a kid to do? It wasn’t cool to talk about your feelings then. I can barely tolerate talking about them now.

Sometimes, looking into the bathroom mirror, I’d dismiss my darkness with less determination. And the shadowy part of myself would spew daggers at me while my confidence floundered. Instead of my dismissal I’d hear:

“Suck it up p**sy!”

“You’re such a piece of sh*t.”
“Why don’t you just kill yourself?”

And although the presence of that voice was almost constant, I got occasional breaks from it while watching a funny movie, lifting weights, or playing football. In high school, I coped by focusing solely on football. But this coping strategy doesn’t work too good for adults.

My other coping strategy was, as I mentioned before, dreaming about the future.

Kids are so full of hope. I understand completely why Christ said that we must become as little children in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven. You could even say that the state of being full of hope is the definition of heaven. I would dream about playing college football or competing in the world’s strongest man.  I dreamed of marrying a hot girl (this one came true), of being super successful at some career, and retiring to my cabin in the woods at a young age. My dreams of the future kept me going.

By some miracle, on my LDS mission I was able to overcome my self-consciousness to a great degree and flourish. I’ve never been so happy and fulfilled in my entire life. But to my dismay, my old demons came back pretty soon after returning home.

The paradoxical thing is that in addition to being tormented by darkness as a child, I was also a hopeless romantic. I found myself in awe and overwhelmed by the beauty of the world on a regular basis. It deeply affected me. I was in awe of the beauty of nature, and God, and girls. I never tried to express this to anyone. I was just too self-conscious and emotionally fragile to allow myself to be that vulnerable. I dreamed of being invisible.

When depression is at its worst it is all but impossible to appreciate beauty. You don’t even see it. It’s in that giant blind spot that consists of everything good, just out of the periphery of self-perception. The only evidence that beauty ever existed is the fact that I seem to be mourning its death constantly. Every morning when I wake up I feel like I am mourning the death of beauty itself.

But if hope is heaven, and you’re severely depressed brain tells you that there is no hope regardless of what you’re experiencing, where does that put you? You could be succeeding at pretty much everything you do, and the shadow side of your psyche will still tell you that it can’t go on like this forever. Eventually your luck will run out.

Without hope, eventually mental illness overcomes your power to resist and your perceived reality starts to confirm your worst fears. Then your brain tells you that it will go on like this forever. A hopeless eternity is a hellish prospect, and the only one you can count on acquiring. A hopeless life is, in a word, a living hell.

The thing that is depression, the illness in your mind, the shadow on your heart, tries to convince you that nothing can go on forever; nothing good anyway, and once you’ve adopted a hopeless heart, the depression has the upper hand. It can tell you whatever it wants and knows you’ll bend to its will.
Every night, I start thinking, “Oh no, I’m going to have to start this whole battle again when I wake up! Oh, dear God! Please help me!”

My depressed mind knows that tomorrow will be more of the same. After six years of this I have to say he’s got a lot of evidence on his side.

My only dream now is that my kids will turn out okay and that when I die God will say, “You did your best. You passed the test.”

But I don’t feel so sure I will pass that test, sometimes. My dysfunctional brain often bombards me with doubt and discouragement.

 All I know is this, I will press on.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hell...and Heaven

Hell Hell is real. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If anyone tells you that hell doesn’t exist tell them to give me a call. I am well acquainted with hell. It comes in many forms. In fact, there are as many versions of hell as there are people on earth. You know this is true. Just imagine that everything that could possibly go wrong in your life actually goes wrong and there is no remedy - just an unending series of disasters and disappointments that stretches on for years and years and years. Or Imagine that for some reason it seems that you can no longer feel positive emotion just about no matter what you do.  Not only that, but then you discover that you have lost interest in everything you used to love to do. Then your own mind turns against you. Your mind is filled with an incessant voice telling you how stupid and pathetic you are. Sometimes it even tells you that you're a burden to everyone you love and they'd be better off with out you. "Just kill y

Recovery Plan

I am going to try and outline a personal recovery plan for climbing out of the pit of depression that I’ve been in for roughly eight years. I also will be striving to improve my overall health and wellbeing. Now, I don’t know how complicated and difficult that may sound to those who are inexperienced and unfamiliar in the world of abnormal psychology and mental health/illness, but believe me, it’s no easy task. This must be about the thousandth time that I have tried to undertake this endeavor. And although I have thought, and fought, long and hard over it, I remain stumped by this problem. I have learned many, many things through my research and experience that are shown to help a significant percentage of people to overcome depression and return to good mental health. These treatments and therapeutic lifestyle changes include everything from medication, talk therapy, exercise, nutrition and supplementation, sleep habits, exposure to UV light, and electro-convulsive therapy, yoga, acu

Fear and Pain Your Days are Numbered

  I found out yesterday that I my spine is totally screwed up. I’m not surprised because it’s been causing me problems for over 10 years off and on. Nevertheless, that news hit me hard. It was a slap in the face. The good kind. I was offended a little bit by my own conscience. I have known that something was wrong with my back that whole time and I knew that losing weight and getting fit would help, but in my state of depression and exhaustion and brokenness I was simply unable to muster the necessary motivation. NO MORE! I am sick and tired of being helpless and hopeless. Screw that! I am sincerely pissed off that so much of my life has been wasted wallowing in pain and suffering. I AM DONE! I commit today, right now, to do whatever it takes to reclaim my health and happiness. Mental illness be damned! You poked the wrong frickin bear. Now prepare to die.   I’m going to take this one step at a time, but I will start NOW. I will wake up every day with single-minded purpose. I will